Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Plug In Kit Plan

I had two plans for building an electric car. The first was to buy some interesting and simple old car, such as a VW Thing, for as little as possible, and convert it to all electric. The second plan was to get a plug in kit for my Prius. My approach was to allow my "Toy Account" grow in value, and whichever I could afford first, I would do.

I looked at a Thing, and decided I didn't want one. I was watching VW Cabriolets, and the costs for EV conversions. Still, higher than my savings.

Plug in kits for Priuses started around $12K, then $8K, then 6K.

Finally, I came across a company called Enginer. They had a kit for about $2,500, which I had in savings. By the way, they had a 2K kit for less than $2,000 as well.

I drove to Milwaukee to see a Enginer upgraded Prius, and meet with the founder of Enginer, Jack Chen. After talking though all my questions and concerns, I gave Jack a deposit for a kit for my car.

To see what I bought, check out the Enginer.us website:

http://www.enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

Now, I need to wait for the kit to arrive, expected some time towards the end of August.

In the meantime, I joined the Minnesota Electric Auto Association, and look forward to attending their August meeting, conveniently held in Bloomington!

http://www.mneaa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment